- Wearables today can provide a wide range of insights, including sleep, heart rate during exercise, illness detection, stress and recovery, and much more.
- These wearables are used in many different contexts/use cases – at rest, during sleep, during exercise, during daily activities like typing, talking
- 位置很重要 - 并非所有身体位置都是相同的监控生物识别性
- Pick the right wearable for what matters most to you
When most people think of wearable devices, they think of smartwatches and fitness bands, but wearable technology comes in many different form factors, including devices on wrists, ears, arms, fingers, head, and even embedded in clothing.
通常，大多数这些设备正在进行类似的东西 - 测量来自身体的生物识别信号，以产生运动强度，活动跟踪，睡眠质量和/或一般健康和健康的评估。广泛的设备类型和用例对于消费者的选择非常重要，但用户体验，性能和能力的权衡都带来了权衡。本文探讨了今天可用的不同可穿戴形式因素的益处和局限性。
就像房地产一样，位置，位置，位置对于可穿戴物非常重要。Why? Accuracy, capabilities, and user experience.The vast majority of wearables usePPG传感器as the primary sensing modality (if you’ve seen the green blinking lights on the back of a smart watch, then you’ve seen one) for measuring heart rate,heart rate variability, respiration rate,blood pressure和其他指标。
PPG传感器work by shining light into the body and measuring how light is scattered from blood flow. They are most accurate in areas of the body that limit the amount of light that is scattered or absorbed by physiological characteristics that are not related to blood flow, like bone, muscle, tendons, and other tissues. They’re negatively impacted by parts of the body that experience more movement when the body is in motion, such as wrists and ankles, because motion increases light scatter making it harder to find the signal amongst the motion noise.
一般来说，耳朵和头部是用PPG传感器测量生物识别的非常好的地方, because they enable high signal quality with good blood flow, minimal light scatter, and limited local motion (i.e. when the body is in motion, the ear is relatively stable). On the other end of the spectrum,the wrist and ankles are comparatively poor locations由于这些地区（骨骼，肌肉，肌腱）和局部运动的生理学（在行走，谈话，跑步等时思考手臂和腿部运动）。
High biometric signal quality is important because it enablesadvanced metrics that are increasingly important to helping wearables provide deeper insights into an individual’s health and fitness.例如，心率是当今大多数可穿戴设备上的标准特征，并且可以在几乎任何机构位置以体面的准确性实现。然而，像PPG传感器一样血压监测的东西更加困难，并且需要最佳的信号质量来产生准确的读数，这限制了可以使用的传感器位置和设备。
User experience + location
位置很重要，但必须在整体用户体验的背景下考虑它可以提供的设备，软件和能力。The user experience and realities of technology and human behavior force trade-offs in product design.例如,“可穿戴设备提供了夏娃ry health and fitness insight you can possibly want but requires wearing a backpack full of equipment is not a viable solution for most people.
- 地点– In addition to the accuracy considerations mentioned above, a device’s location can determine its long-term wearability. For example, while the forehead is a very good place to measure biometric signals, it’s difficult to get people to wear a device on their forehead every day for long periods of time.
- Size/comfort– In general most people want their wearables smaller rather than larger, but this limits the battery life and capabilities of the device.
- 电池寿命– We’d all like devices we never (or rarely) have to charge, but in today’s battery technology there is a relatively linear relationship between size and power – the bigger the battery, the longer the battery life. Bigger battery means more capabilities, but a bigger device and more difficulties making it comfortable.
- 能力– What does the device intend to measure – heart rate, sleep, stress, blood pressure, and/or something else? Does the device need a screen? Does it need to show notifications? Take phone calls? Make you a coffee in the morning? Each of these impacts the sensor technologies, battery life, form factor, data presentation and available device locations, among other things.
To illustrate, let’s look at some examples:
- 苹果手表– the Apple Watch is one of the most capable devices on the market, with heart rate, afib detection, notifications, phone calls, high screen resolution, and much more. But packing that many capabilities into one device has limitations, including battery life which is why it hasn’t focused much on sleep – one day battery life means most people are charging their watch overnight.
- Oura Ring- Oura的激光专注于睡眠监测，带有戒指设备和移动应用程序，可为其用例设计和执行。但是，它也有局限性。例如，当个体相对仍然仍然仍然是睡眠跟踪，但不适用于手指的运动噪声非常具有挑战性的运动跟踪，手指适合睡眠跟踪。
- Whoop- WhoOP先驱进行了监测物理应变（主要围绕运动强度）和恢复（主要围绕睡眠跟踪和HRV）之间的平衡的体验，以低调腕带形状因子。呐喊制作了非常清晰的设计选择，使他们能够制作一个小型舒适的设备，最大限度地提高电池寿命，但没有屏幕，设备无法提供与其应变/恢复使用案件的关键相关的功能，例如通知，应用或讲述时间。